I had the idea to purchase a little sister & little brother onesie and we let the Tech. tell Landon which shirt to hold up when she discovered which we were having.
So, then started this HUGE undertaking of finding the 'perfect' fabric to set the base for my design in the nursery. I discovered this Braemore fabric in Tulsa OK at a small fabric store. I had already collected several samples and had a design board started, but this fabric was the 'one'. It was like finding the perfect wedding dress all over again. It just allowed options for several girly colors and extended the option for using these colors for a little girl upate later on.
Here is a list of my projects and estimated costs & where I found them.
1. Solid Wood Bed. Church Friend's Sister sold it for $100 with mattress and pads, etc. I already had a waterproof mattress, so I sold the mattress and the waterproof pads. I had my husband and his handyman friend paint the bed with a professional sprayer a Simply White, from Benjamin Moore, which was color matched in a Sherwin Williams paint which was during their 40% sale. Score.
Here is my pottery barn book shelf find at the Riley Farms Annual Sale for $23 and my hard wired lamps I had in storage. I took the shades of the lamps and added white whispy feather boas with hot glue and added a small butterfly. Here you can see my color paint sample against the beige wall.
TIP:It's always best to take he color samples home and put them on the wall you want new paint. Different lighting can affect the way it looks to the eye and different times of day can change that look. I am experimenting here with the accent light using different type bulbs: daylight, bright white light with 1100 lumens and a soft white. I used the day light to eliminate any yellow hues.
I ended up with a light neutral grey, after trying a french grey, which had too much blue and looked purple, so my paint man custom fixed it and made it neutral for me to match the background in the fabric. I painted 3 walls in this soft grey in a flat paint and then added vertical stripes in a semi-gloss in a shade slightly lighter. This added a subtle, but striking effect.
The 3rd wall got a coral pink flat finish with semi gloss polka dots. I just used a round cookie cutter and painted the insides of the circle. I measured exact distances from each center, vertically and horizontally and put a small 'x' and then painted each one in the semi gloss. Time consuming, but nice finish. I should have used a shade lighter to make it more noticable.
Here is my favorite feature in the room, besided the fabric:
|I used a pin striped pink cotton and covered my chandelier shades on the diagonal with a hot glue gun. This chandelier, from Lowe's, was on clearance when Landon's nursery was designed. (which now, I have to blog about that one, when I find pics)|
|These sheer drapes I copied a pottery barn idea and used ribbons to sew into the top pocket and tied them onto the rod. The fabric was found at Hancock's on sale, of course and I used the colors from the inspiration.|
|I found this at Hobby L. and added more color to the scroll and accents.|
So, after all the fabric, paint, furniture, etc. we came in under $500. I was so pleased.
Other accents in room not detailed: picture frames, I later painted to look like faux birch wood, shag rug from Hobby L., pottery barn pop up storage bins, Penny the Owl, Pottery Barn, white shelf from storage, not sure where I got it, satin nickel curtain rod with glass finial-used from Landon's nursery and white roller shade from walmart.
I won Grand Champion in the Home Ecs department with my courdory bird pillow with pink dot flannel and pom pom trim. I was not expecting that, but so excited.
I'm sure there will be more posts with some tutorials on these things. If you have a question, please leave it below, thanks for reading!
Please feel free to write your thoughts here, I'd love to read them!