Thursday, April 24, 2014

Frozen All Natural Homemade Kids' Mouthwash Recipe


I just made some minty fresh "Frozen" mouthwash for my kids today.  My kids blew a gasket when in walmart shopping for a toothbrush when they saw this awesome angry birds mouthwash pump dispenser with a special cup inside that matched my daughter's new light up toothbrush from firefly.....

   
I almost said, "Yes, of course"......but then I always make a conscious decision to read the labels. Sugar Free, check, alcohol free, check, fun pump, check, fluoride, ugh not recommended from my research. Turning it around and reading the label and harmful chemicals I had to explain why we can't buy them.  How the coloring in them and preservatives are not safe for the inside of our bodies or the outside for that matter. In fact, I just researched the use of artificial colors and found that the U.K. and other countries have completely done away with them and deem them a hazard to health and have found that they lead to all kinds of disorders, including ADHD, Autism and others. That is crazy.  What is wrong with our standards in America.  Also, I read where Kraft and McDonalds, among other companies, use separate recipes when serving to the UK, eliminating any chemicals or artificial ingredients, hummm, interesting.
Back to Mouthwash:  With a 2 1/2 yr old and a 6 year old, sometimes things get swallowed and not to mention the residue from the mouthwash soaking up in their mouths and in their bloodstream under their tongue.  Here is what the label reads:


Active ingredient                                                                    
Sodium fluoride 0.05% (0.02% w/v fluoride ion).........................
Purpose: Anticavity Rinse
Uses - Aids in the prevention of dental cavities
Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age.
Warnings
If more than used for rinsing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Directions
- Adults and children 6 years of age and older. Use once a day after brushing your teeth with a toothpaste. Vigorously swish 10 milliliters of rinse between your teeth for 1 minute and then spit out. Do not swallow the rinse. Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after rinsing. - Instruct children under 12 years of age in good rinsing habits (to minimize swallowing). - Supervise children as necessary until capable of using without supervision. - Children under 6 years of age: Consult a dentist or doctor.
Other information Store at room temperature
Inactive ingredients
Cetylpyridinium chloride, citric acid, disodium EDTA, disodium phosphate, Bubble Gum Flavor, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, FDandC Red No. 33, sodium benzoate, sodium phosphate monobasic, sodium saccharin, sorbitol, water, xylitol.
DR.Fresh
Question? Comments?
Toll Free. 1-866-373-7374
comments@defresh.com
visit us online at:
www.drfresh.com



So, without hesitation, it went back on the shelf and I told my kids we would make our own mouthwash.  So I went to the hand soap isle and got a ceramic pump and my son asked if he could decorate the pump and I said, "of course, great idea".  Here is our homemade mouthwash dispenser with paper (not plastic)disposable cups to rinse.  I decorated the pump for pictures but I'm sure the kids will want to do their own thing later.  The ingredients are all plant based and I do not have to call the Poison Control Center if it is swallowed.   
With my recipe I do not have to worry about any of the ingredients because they're actually improving their health if they swallow a little. Distributor #1481459 Young Living Essential Oils
Here's the recipe:
2 drops of Thieves Young Living Essential Oil
2 drops of Peppermint Y.L. Essential Oil
1 Drop of Melaleuca (tea tree ) oil
A drizzle of Agave Nectar for sweetness kid approval
Add to a metal or ceramic container filled with distilled water.  Add more Thieves as tolerated by your kids since it is spicy.
Go to www.youngliving.com and enter Distributor  #1481459 to order these oils.  Become a distributor and get a discount and earn rewards as well.  

Benefits of the above oils have been known to help prevent gingivitis, strengthen tooth enamel, help kill all bacteria, freshen breath, help prevent viruses, and not to mention the long list of other uses for these oils.  I can't be more satisfied knowing my kids are improving their health each time they use mouthwash.  Knowing if they drink the whole bottle that I am not worried one bit.  I'm certain if my daughter can get the lid off, she will try when I'm not in the room!







Please feel free to write your thoughts here, I'd love to read them!

No comments: