Friday, January 3, 2014

Spetacular Fluffalicious Pancake Recipe


In my feeble attempt to hurry and make breakfast for the kids, I usually use the Bisquick pancake mix and throw it on the griddle. However, a few months ago I stumbled across a recipe that added a couple of ingredients that made the flavor wonderful and resulted in decently fluffy pancakes. This morning, in my daily attempt to keep the kids quiet amidst their cries of  "I'm Hungry, Feed Me", so I just guessed at the recipe.


  As normal, I was out of an ingredient that's important to the chemical process necessary to cause the pancakes to inflate, vinegar.  I added a teaspoon of baking soda to the dry mix, one egg and extra vanilla extract.  I was out of milk, too, so I used the dry powder mix and added the normal amount in a separate measuring cup.  The key to the great mystery is what you put in the milk........add about a tablespoon of vinegar to the milk and you'll get buttermilk. But, today, I didn't have vinegar.  I remembered the white wine vinegar in my pantry and thought I'd try it.  I used about a tablespoon and let it sit for a few minutes after stirring.  I added it to the mix along with a small squeeze of lemon juice.   I set the griddle on 350 but then lowered it to 325 after the first batch because they were so thick they were cooking too fast and still raw on the inside. Results: phenomenally fluffy pancakes nearly 1/2 inch thick.

 The pictures I took are the leftover pancakes. We ate the most fluffy ones before I got a snapshot!  I hope this helps you discover the best pancakes ever using any recipe you already use.

Recipe:
Regular Bisquick Mix ( I use Aldi Mix)
+1 tsp. baking soda
+ 1 tablespoon of White Wine Vinegar (or Regular Vinegar) added to the required amount of milk 
+  1 tsp. extra Vanilla Extract 
+ small squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Griddle set at 325 degrees, a couple minutes on each side or until bubbly and turning brown


Please feel free to write your thoughts here, I'd love to read them!

No comments: