Sunday, April 7, 2013

Praying for the rocks behind our house to open up and eat a few fence posts!




I wanted to share something that my husband and I have been reading and praying together about.  After visiting my Dad's church, Russellville Assembly of God, they sent us home with the book they've been studying in my Dad's Life Group Class.  It has been something that I know God wanted to remind us about. It is not meant to replace God's word, instead the author shares his life experiences and others he has known God to answer some pretty big prayers.  Sometimes our culture wants to force us into a mode of "get it quick" and "get it now" scheme.  In fact, we know from scripture there are no shortcuts to prayer and hearing from God.  There is so much that God has in store for us, but we give up after praying a few times.  
In Mark's book he writes on page 91 in the chapter titled "unoffended"; "you can give up or hang on. You can let go or pray through. You can get frustrated with God or choose to live unoffended".
Along with this statement are many other 'aha' moments for me.  In fact, each chapter has been a challenge to my faith.  So the story I wanted to share with you recalls the events of this weekend and have finally sunk in for me, God has answered one of our prayers we wrote down and clipped it to our large memo board in the bedroom.  I have been looking at that thing all week and I would say short prayers about it.  But, when I wrote those things down in the beginning, it's like I decided to let go and let God take care of it.  I know I haven't prayed as much as my husband, so I'm excited to see the promises fulfilled as I continue to seek the Lord for all our needs on that board.
So, the last 2 weekends I took Mark's advice in praying like I was only depending upon God and working like it only depended upon me........so that's what I did.  Over this course of time, one of our needs was a privacy fence.  It is something we really needed when we built the house but couldn't afford it.  We got 3 estimates for a fence and it was going to take triple what our budget alloted for.  I was really discouraged, but I still kept on seeking an answer.  I got on Craig's List and thought I'd put in a search, again, for privacy fence or wood fence, etc..  After many, many tries, this strange listing popped up. I thought, no-this is just a scam, I'm not going to call.  But, I did call and yes, a lady was selling her entire wood fence if a person could dig it up and take it apart it was theirs for nearly $800 less than the cost of us building, painting, hauling a new fence into our yard.  We knew we didn't have the time or equipment to build our own at this time , but here this fence is and less than 2 miles from our home, in Greenwood, from a great company, only 3 years old and fits in our yard; and to top it off, their yard was in a marshy type area and the ground was really wet( what more could you ask for).  My family loaned a work truck, actally named 'Old Yeller', living up to it's name since it is a faded Bonanza truck who is old, yet dependable.


 The lady was forclosing her property and the lender was allowing her to take the fence because it was not original to the property.  Just the timing of this ordeal and the logistics has made me realize today as I am watching my husband unload the fence panels in our yard, that God has answered.
Wow, I guess the only thing better than this deal is that it could have involved ; 1. No labor and 2. No money at all, but God has anwered our prayer in a way we never imagined.  We really toiled with going through with this plan, knowing all the work involved and worrying about the quality of the fence, but after seeing the fence yesterday and all the logistics of taking it down, we are just amazed and thanking God for his provision.  Now, we have a hard job ahead of us installing this fence; so just praying for the rocks behind our house to just open up and eat a fence post, or two, or 20!  

Update #1: Here is the first 4 posts, a gate and a side panel
Woo Hoo! One weekend, first week of work, maybe only a few more to go? The holes have been mildly difficult and my husband has only used a few hand tools and manual labor, no jackhammers yet!.  They are not as stubborn as we thought, so maybe God has erroded a the rocks a few thousands of years in one week? Hey, anything is possible!
Update#2:
June 24. We are now seeing the end of the tunnel.  With only 7 more posts to dig and half of the fence panels to install, we are so glad that we haven't needed any rental equipment.  We will, however need a jackhammer for the remaining posts, which could be done in a couple hours, thank goodness!  My poor husband has been working hard at his regular job + overtime and then coming home to work on the fence almost every evening.  I am so thankful for his dedication to finish this fence for our family.  I will post the pics once we're done.
As far as the other things we've been praying about update:
We were able to buy a small truck for my husband to drive to and from work and for hauling things.  We found it on Craigs list for $1200, a 2000 model and very similar to his first truck he had when I met him, brings back a lot of memories:)
Also, we're planning on getting insurance next month along with the employer paying partial payment.  This is just a few of the things that God has done for us. Not that we're anything special, but we are children of the King and he said in his word that he has everything we need, if only we'll just ask.  So, we're doing just that, asking and believing that he will honor his word.  I'm so thankful that God just shows up and shows out, after all, he deserves all the glory.


Add caption








Please feel free to write your thoughts here, I'd love to read them!

2 comments:

Chris said...

God is so good! Thanks for sharing how He is working in your life! We have had some great things happen lately as well. He takes care of us! Oh, one more thing....you are in trouble for coming to Rsvl. w/o telling us. ;)
Christina

Unknown said...

Oh, you got me girl. Yes, we are guilty for not staying long in Russellville. We came one weekend as a quick visit, since my Dad & Sharon were watching the kids so we could get away. We went to church that sunday and went home that afternoon. They had a fun time, but were really worn out! (the grandparents, that is) So glad to know God is working on your behalf as well. He is so GOOD!
miss you guys